We are Edmonton’s Destination Management and Marketing Organization (DMMO). We also manage two of Edmonton’s award-winning venues, the Edmonton Convention Centre and the Edmonton EXPO Centre. We help tell Edmonton’s story, elevate the Edmonton experience, and drive inbound visitation and economic impact in the visitor economy.
Working together in a one-team approach aligned by our core values, Explore Edmonton’s business units’ market and sell Edmonton as a year-round destination to visit, work, and play in while also developing products and experiences that have a uniquely Edmonton flavour. And by incorporating the management of the city’s two award-winning venues into Explore Edmonton, we are uniquely positioned to attract major events, meetings, and conventions to our city, generating greater economic impact. While Explore Edmonton’s mandate is focused on generating inbound visitation, what we do and how we do it also enhances and amplifies the quality of life for Edmontonians. The people who live here are our greatest ambassadors, so making it easier for them to love our city makes it easier for us to sell it.
Managed by Explore Edmonton Corporation, the Edmonton Convention Centre and Edmonton EXPO Centre both work toward a vision of being among North America’s top-performing venues and achieve that vision through a commitment to positive social, environmental, and economic impact. As two of Edmonton’s largest and busiest venues, the Edmonton Convention Centre and Edmonton EXPO Centre have a combined 672,000 square feet and welcome more than 1.8 million visitors every year.
The Edmonton Convention Centre is looking for an enthusiastic, positive, and self-driven Event Manager to join our team. This position is a ten (10) month term position to fill a parental leave. You will be working with an amazing group of like-minded professionals all striving towards the same goal to provide remarkable client experiences. Reporting to the Senior Event Manager, the Event Manager is responsible for exceptional client management which starts from the time of booking until the conclusion of their event. The Event Manager will demonstrate a strong project and event management background and are comfortable communicators. They are technologically proficient, quick to apply solutions to problems and possess a keen eye for detail. The Event Manager understands that relationships matter and will prioritize customer service excellence to exceed our client’s expectations.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Working with Sales Manager in planning, developing, and managing client events
- Responding to client inquiries, determines expectations and delivers an event plan for implementation
- Following SOPs and is actively involved in departmental meetings for new and improved processes
- Professionally representing the department and venue by participating in and/or conducting site visits, production meetings, test meals and on-site client events
- Overseeing the event on the floor with the client; problem solving and trouble shooting to ensure the event runs smoothly for client and exhibitors.
- Advising and counseling colleagues on customer comments, concerns, and challenges, to ensure effective and efficient delivery of events, or resolve outstanding issues post event
- Ensuring all event details and requirements are entered and tracked in USI to maximize the reporting and documentation.
- Preparing a post event financial summary to be invoiced to the client; deliver summary to Sales Department for review and delivery to Finance Department
- Developing and delivering individual and team KPIs with the Senior Event Manager
- Maintaining accurate and up to date event plans and creates service orders for all events with correct information for internal and contractor purposes
- Liaising with all departments and staff to ensure the success of the full cycle of events
- Working with the department team to establish the annual departmental operational objectives and priorities.
- Participating in weekly or scheduled meetings of the Sales & Events team to review event calendar to identify issues and needs; discuss possible RFQ/RFP’s, planned and new events, client service issues, and set direction for coming weeks.
- Adhering to AGLC, OH&S, and Fire Marshall Codes
- Understanding and following ECC’s Health and Safety Standards.
- Ensuring events comply with ECC’s Health and Safety Standards.
The successful candidate will have:
- Post-secondary education or certificate in Event Management or related field is an asset
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a position in event planning, or client services
- Event/client management strengths and strong attention to details
- Experience working with a team
- Experience and success in developing/building relationships with clientele and internal departments
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize goals (working within tight timelines)
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office, Word and Excel
- Strong interpersonal, communications and customer service skills
- Expectation to respond to client and supplier inquiries within 24 business hours
- Skill set in a venue management system (USI or other) considered an asset
If this role piques your interest, please submit your cover letter to let us know how you feel you could make an impact along with your resume. Please submit your interest no later than March 30, 2023.
Explore Edmonton encourages, supports, and celebrates a diverse and inclusive work environment. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the city we promote and where our employees feel safe and supported every day.