We are Edmonton’s Destination Management, Marketing and Venue Management Organization. We help tell Edmonton’s story, elevate the Edmonton experience, and drive inbound visitation and economic impact in the visitor economy. We work together, aligned by our core values, to market and sell Edmonton as the place to visit while supporting the development of transformational experiences that have a uniquely Edmonton vibe.
Our work incorporates the management of two award-winning venues: the Edmonton Convention Centre and Edmonton Expo Centre, which collectively welcome 1.8 million visitors every year across 672,000 square feet of exhibition space.
Recognized as one of North America’s top five performing venues, the Edmonton Convention Centre attracts and has played host to major events, meetings, concerts, galas, and conferences to our city, generating greater economic impact and social benefits through a sustainable approach. Its iconic design structure is home to Canada’s largest building integrate photovoltaic system and its flat roof slope down the river valley in now a landmark of sustainability.
And we have a rare vacancy – we are looking for an individual to assume the role of Director, Facilities and Engineering.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, the Director, Facilities & Engineering role is to seek ways to standardize and optimize existing systems and oversee structural engineering, building systems, venue projects, capital projects, venue safety and security services.
The Director demonstrates expertise in planning, organizing, directing, controlling, closing, and evaluating projects of varying scope. The person in this role develops and maintains strong networks and relationships with key partners including City of Edmonton project leads, architects, designers, vendors, contractors, and facility managers.
The Director plans and manages the facilities and engineering operations budgets, has purview of preventative maintenance programs, maintenance, and repair of equipment, provides guidance and expertise to safety and security programs, and will direct administrative services such as signage, and safety inspections and emergency response. As a member for the Edmonton Convention Centre’s Strategy Team, the Director, will assist in developing the strategic direction to position the division for success.
The future director will have to demonstrate adaptability and quickly acclimate to the varied systems and workflow; will draw from their experience, industry expertise and critical and logical thinking skills to navigate and influence organizational change for themselves and their team.
The Ideal Profile
- 7-10 years in Facility Management building maintenance and/or construction which involved facility planning, construction, maintenance, and operations.
- Job related education such as Engineering, Facility Management, or certified Journeyman in one of the building trades and a minimum of 3rd Class Engineers’ certificate or equivalent
- A PMP designation is an asset
- 5 – 6 years of business management experience setting clear expectations and creating a positive work environment based on accountability, in collaboration with the engineering and management teams
- Demonstrates knowledge of facilities management principles involved in large venue assets, strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, maintenance, safety and coordination of people and resources
- Strong motivational leadership with excellent team building skills
- Ability to negotiate the best arrangements, prices, and conditions.
- Experience with MS Office suite, MPulse, or other CMMS
- Knowledge of local and provincial laws regarding Alberta Labour Standards; WCB; FOIP; OH&S Codes; City of Edmonton Parking & Signage By-Laws; Alberta Criminal Code; etc.
How to apply:
To apply, please click on the apply button at the top or bottom of the page.
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria will be contacted.
Competition closes June 15, 2022
Explore Edmonton Corporation has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination or participate in the rapid testing program. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated based on a protected ground may request an exemption.
Explore Edmonton encourages, supports, and celebrates a diverse and inclusive work environment. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the city we promote and where our employees feel safe and supported every day.