We are Edmonton’s Destination Management and Marketing Organization (DMMO). We also manage two of Edmonton’s award-winning venues, the Edmonton Convention Centre and the Edmonton EXPO Centre. We help tell Edmonton’s story, elevate the Edmonton experience, and drive inbound visitation and economic impact in the visitor economy.
Working together in a one-team approach aligned by our core values, Explore Edmonton’s business units’ market and sell Edmonton as a year-round destination to visit, work, and play in while also developing products and experiences that have a uniquely Edmonton flavour. And by incorporating the management of the city’s two award-winning venues into Explore Edmonton, we are uniquely positioned to attract major events, meetings, and conventions to our city, generating greater economic impact. While Explore Edmonton’s mandate is focused on generating inbound visitation, what we do and how we do it also enhances and amplifies the quality of life for Edmontonians. The people who live here are our greatest ambassadors, so making it easier for them to love our city makes it easier for us to sell it.
Managed by Explore Edmonton Corporation, the Edmonton Convention Centre, and Edmonton EXPO Centre both work toward a vision of being among North America’s top-performing venues and achieve that vision through a commitment to positive social, environmental, and economic impact. As two of Edmonton’s largest and busiest venues, the Edmonton Convention Centre and Edmonton EXPO Centre have a combined 672,000 square feet and welcome more than 1.8 million visitors every year.
The Edmonton Convention Centre Group is looking for a Chief Steward to join the Stewarding Team! Driven by a passion to serve people and enrich their lives through the experiences created, the Chief Steward coordinates and manages the daily Stewarding Team and non-cooking kitchen workers, along with their activities, in the Edmonton Convention Centre (ECC). The Chief Steward has an immaculate ability to multitask, will have previous supervisory experience, is friendly, adaptable, and will thrive in a team setting. The Chief Steward has a purview over pantry, kitchen supplies, dish room operations, daily and night cleaning and sanitation activates, and equipment for cleanliness and controls.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Preparing schedules and work assignments for the stewarding department based on business volume
- Developing and implementing standard operating practices for the stewarding area that are aligned with the ECC food and beverage objectives.
- Cultivating a work environment that is aligned with the company core values.
- Developing and implementing good practices which support employee engagement through regular communication and positive reinforcement.
- Monitoring supply of clean dishware, glassware, and pans; take corrective action to maintain supply level.
- Purchasing of Food & Beverage china, silverware, glass ware and other hardware.
- Working close with Executive Chef to manage the Stewarding Department budget.
- Participating in departmental planning, meetings, organizing and preparing for upcoming events and banquets
- Monthly and quarterly inventory. Walk through of all Food & Beverage areas including Banquets, Cafeteria, Main Kitchen and Pastry Kitchen.
- Working with the ECC Chefs to ensure all Health & Safety needs are met.
The successful candidate will have:
- A High School Diploma and 3 years as Chief Steward, Assistant Banquets Manager, or commercial kitchen supervisory role
- Extensive knowledge of working in a commercial kitchen
- Experience in large scale venue or healthcare kitchens is an asset.
- Strong leadership experience.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- The ability to assess complex food service requirements and appropriate resources and personnel to achieve efficient experiences that exceed guest expectations
- The ability to have a flexible work schedule—24/7
- Knowledge of health and safety and food safety
- Basic knowledge of First Aid and WHMIS
- Working knowledge of cleaning and sanitizing chemical, ware washing equipment and tools, and Microsoft Office programs
- Understands MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)
The successful candidate will be required to disclose COVID-19 Vaccination Status.
Explore Edmonton encourages, supports, and celebrates a diverse and inclusive work environment. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the city we promote and where our employees feel safe and supported every day. If this role piques your interest, please submit your cover letter to let us know how you feel you could make an impact along with your resume. Please submit your interest no later than January 07, 2022.