We are Edmonton’s Destination Management and Marketing Organization (DMMO). We also manage two of Edmonton’s award-winning venues, the Edmonton Convention Centre and the Edmonton EXPO Centre. We help tell Edmonton’s story, elevate the Edmonton experience, and drive inbound visitation and economic impact in the visitor economy.
Working together in a one-team approach aligned by our core values, Explore Edmonton’s business units’ market and sell Edmonton as a year-round destination to visit, work, and play in while also developing products and experiences that have a uniquely Edmonton flavour. And by incorporating the management of the city’s two award-winning venues into Explore Edmonton, we are uniquely positioned to attract major events, meetings, and conventions to our city, generating greater economic impact. While Explore Edmonton’s mandate is focused on generating inbound visitation, what we do and how we do it also enhances and amplifies the quality of life for Edmontonians. The people who live here are our greatest ambassadors, so making it easier for them to love our city makes it easier for us to sell it.
Managed by Explore Edmonton Corporation, the Edmonton Convention Centre, and Edmonton EXPO Centre both work toward a vision of being among North America’s top-performing venues and achieve that vision through a commitment to positive social, environmental, and economic impact. As two of Edmonton’s largest and busiest venues, the Edmonton Convention Centre and Edmonton EXPO Centre have a combined 672,000 square feet and welcome more than 1.8 million visitors every year.
The Edmonton Convention Centre is looking for an Assistant Manager, Event Services to join the team. Reporting to the Manager, Event Services, this hands-on position will lead by example by coaching and empowering others to take ownership of the team’s success. The Assistant Manager, Event Services will drive and operate vehicles, forklifts, tractors, and utilize various tools to make the job as efficient as possible. The Event Services team provides Food & Beverage and Set-Up services to a wide array of clients and events including weddings, concerts, trade shows & festivals, corporate events, charitable fundraisers, conventions & conferences, and graduations.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Overseeing the set-up of indoor/outdoor events to ensure client requests are met.
- Ensuring cleanliness of meeting rooms, shared areas, and foyers to and from the building.
- Achieving and exceeding productivity goals and objectives, management of labour hours, and direct/indirect costs.
- Maintaining and managing chattel inventory.
- Directing and assisting staff with their daily workload including set-up and tear-down of room sets, cleaning in rooms and communal areas, as well as storage areas.
- Scheduling employees and assist with biweekly payroll
- Training and identifying safety hazards and precautions for Event Services staff.
- Organizing and coordinating numerous requirements for multiple events throughout different locations of the Edmonton Convention Centre.
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum 3-years supervisory and leadership experience, or Assistant Manager experience in event set-up
- Minimum 1-year working in a unionized environment
- Ability to work flexible hours and rotating shifts, including overnights and weekends
- Excellent organization skills and high attention to detail
- Ability to walk, move and carry a minimum of 20 kgs
- Adaptability in a fast-paced working environment
- Working knowledge of cleaning and sanitizing chemicals
- Working knowledge of ware washing equipment and tools
- Solid understanding of Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
The successful candidate will be required to disclose COVID-19 Vaccination Status.
Explore Edmonton encourages, supports, and celebrates a diverse and inclusive work environment. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the city we promote and where our employees feel safe and supported every day. If this role piques your interest, please submit your cover letter to let us know how you feel you could make an impact along with your resume. Please submit your interest no later than January 07, 2021.